Party will be held at Anh’s house – check TeamSnap for details.
Please see below for details on the Select Side – we encourage everyone to participate. It is not all or nothing, but selections will be made based on performance, participation and availability.
We had an excellent experience last year at Mount St Mary’s (MSMs). I anticipate a similar experience this year and hopefully, better with the added event in NJ.
Contact Karl or Hugh if you have questions.
2018 Maryland Select Side
The goal is to field two sides, varsity and junior varsity (JV). All players with a safe level of level of experience and are interested in improving their skill and performance are encouraged to participate. This is an excellent opportunity to get exposure to high level play and coaching. The USA Rugby RCT in New Jersey is geared toward elite pathway.
RCT in Rahway, NJ; June 16-17th, 2018, Varsity only (2-day event)
Mid-Atlantic Select Side Tournament, MSMs University; June 23rd, 2018, Varsity and Junior Varsity (based on interest) (Single day event)
New USAR elite pathway guidance: A Player must participate in a RCT to be considered for elite pathway.
Note: In order for players to be considered for Varsity at the RCT in Rahway, NJ, said player must be 16 years old on or prior to June 16th. This is the guideline established by USAR and is NOT negotiable. We do not have this restriction for the event the following event at MSM University on June 23rd.
Requirements for select training sessions:
Players with at least one full season of experience, have a firm grasp of fundamental skills and have the physical and mental ability to train in an intensive/competitive environment.
Registration is $200 per player. $50 payment will be due as part of registration due May 31st and is non-refundable. Payment can be made to Ms. Wendy Thomas, team manager, via Venmo to @Wendy-Thomas-15. The balance will be due on or before the June 12th training session.
● Registration will cover lodging, snacks at the field, and team dinner on Saturday night in NJ. Snacks at the field at MSMs. Residual funds will be applied to a team social immediately following the MSMs event.
● All Players will get a practice T-shirt and socks to keep. We will play in black shorts. Players can either use existing shorts, i.e. from selects last year, home-club black shorts, or acquire some on loan or from a supplier.
Saturday, June 9th, 9:00AM – 2:00PM Location: 1103 Omar Dr., Crownsville, MD
a. 9:00 – 11:00 Registration/Introductions/Ice Breakers/Skills
b. 11:00 – 12:00 Dinner break/chalk talk/team building (meal provided)
c. 12:00 – 2:00 Skills/Scrimmage
Sunday, June 10th 9:00AM – 2:00PM Location: TBD
d. 9:00 – 11:00 Introductions/Ice Breakers/Skills
e. 11:00 – 12:00 Dinner break/chalk talk/team building (meal provided)
f. 12:00 – 1:00 Skills
g. 12:00 – 2:00 Scrimmage, team TBD
Tuesday, June 12th 6:00pm – 8:00pm Location: 1103 Omar Dr., Crownsville, MD
Thursday June 14th 6:00 – 8:00pm Location: Demarco Park, Aberdeen, MD
• 8:00 Jersey Ceremony (First 15 Selections will be announced)
Note: June 12th and June 14th locations are subject to change pending availability of scrimmages.
Travel Logistics: More to follow on transportation and lodging
– To be included in registration: Picture ID, Health Insurance information (copy of health insurance card), CIPP number, and emergency contact information.
Congratulations to all the players for their hard work this year – you have one last test on Sunday. Kick off is at noon at UMBC’s Walker Field. Walker Field address: 5451 Wilkens Ave, Catonsville, MD 21228.
All players must arrive at 1030 for check in and then warm up.
1. EACH PLAYER MUST HAVE A PHOTO ID WITH THEM ON SUNDAY [no ID = no play]
2. We will submit a player list for the match in advance. They will check IDs against the roster. EACH PLAYER MUST HAVE A PHOTO ID WITH THEM ON SUNDAY. Driver’s license/perm,it, passport, or school ID is sufficient.
2. All players must be in high school or of high school age (15-18). Any high schoolers that are 14 years old must sign an under 15 waiver. Contact Coach Karl for the under 15 waiver.
3. Parents and fans will be on the opposite side of the field from the teams.
What a great win on Sunday!
Practice this week at Mill Creek Towne Local Park, 17401 Shady Grove Rd, Derwood, MD 20855:
- Tuesday 5:30 – 7:00
- Thursday 6:00 – 8:00
We are home for the semifinals. Kick off is 1:00. All players must be ready for warm ups at noon. Beat West Carroll!
We play at home (Mill Creek Towne Local Park, 17401 Shady Grove Rd, Derwood, MD 20855) at 1:00.
All players must be on the pitch ready to warm up at noon.
Any one who wants to go to the Wales South Africa match with the team on June 2, must provide $50.50 per ticket to Coach Karl on Sunday.
For those who want to save a few dollars off the price of tickets and sit together with other Exiles, we will purchase group tickets on Apr 30.
If you want tickets please let Coach Karl or Lilli know how many tickets you want as soon as possible; we need check or cash by April 29. Tickets cost $50.50 each.
Excellent job by all at the tournament this weekend. Lot’s of playing time for all.
Note the time change: Practice Tuesday, April 24 at Shady Grove is 5:30 to 7:00.
Practice on Thursday will be back to normal: 6:00 to 8:00 at Shady Grove.
Our match is Sunday, April 29 at Shady Grove. Kick off is at 1:00. All players must be on the pitch ready to warmup at noon. Please go to Teamsnap and update your availability.
There have been changes to Saturday’s kick off times. Please check this site or Team snap often. Showtime for everyone is noon at field #3.
Our first match is Saturday at 1:00 vs Doylestown. Make sure you are ready to play at noon on field #3.
Our second match on Saturday is at 3:00 vs North Bay B. Make sure you are ready to play at 2:00 on field #3.
We play on Sunday at 9:00 on field #2 against Downington. Be ready to go on the field at 8:00.
We play again on Sunday at 11:00 against Saint Joseph CSS B on field #2.
- This event is sponsored by Rhino Rugby, stop by and patronize their store.
- There will be a promotion for the Wales – South Africa Test Match.
- College recruiters from Mary Washington and Marywood Universities will be at the festival to encourage your players to attend their programs.
- There will be a $10 parking fee to pay for this beautiful facility and the parking crew that will be waving you in.