Follow us on twitter @MDXU19girls
In case you hadn’t heard, Maryland won the Northeast RCT Tournament this past weekend in New Jersey. It was an incredible weekend of rugby and we played every game, bar one half, down 1-2 players. You should all be proud of Lauren, Lilli, Mikayla and Mady who represented the Exiles.
Link to an article about the weekend and our win.
Go Exiles — Go Select Side!!
Please see below for details on the Select Side – we encourage everyone to participate. It is not all or nothing, but selections will be made based on performance, participation and availability.
We had an excellent experience last year at Mount St Mary’s (MSMs). I anticipate a similar experience this year and hopefully, better with the added event in NJ.
Contact Karl or Hugh if you have questions.
2018 Maryland Select Side
The goal is to field two sides, varsity and junior varsity (JV). All players with a safe level of level of experience and are interested in improving their skill and performance are encouraged to participate. This is an excellent opportunity to get exposure to high level play and coaching. The USA Rugby RCT in New Jersey is geared toward elite pathway.
RCT in Rahway, NJ; June 16-17th, 2018, Varsity only (2-day event)
Mid-Atlantic Select Side Tournament, MSMs University; June 23rd, 2018, Varsity and Junior Varsity (based on interest) (Single day event)
New USAR elite pathway guidance: A Player must participate in a RCT to be considered for elite pathway.
Note: In order for players to be considered for Varsity at the RCT in Rahway, NJ, said player must be 16 years old on or prior to June 16th. This is the guideline established by USAR and is NOT negotiable. We do not have this restriction for the event the following event at MSM University on June 23rd.
Requirements for select training sessions:
Players with at least one full season of experience, have a firm grasp of fundamental skills and have the physical and mental ability to train in an intensive/competitive environment.
Registration is $200 per player. $50 payment will be due as part of registration due May 31st and is non-refundable. Payment can be made to Ms. Wendy Thomas, team manager, via Venmo to @Wendy-Thomas-15. The balance will be due on or before the June 12th training session.
● Registration will cover lodging, snacks at the field, and team dinner on Saturday night in NJ. Snacks at the field at MSMs. Residual funds will be applied to a team social immediately following the MSMs event.
● All Players will get a practice T-shirt and socks to keep. We will play in black shorts. Players can either use existing shorts, i.e. from selects last year, home-club black shorts, or acquire some on loan or from a supplier.
Saturday, June 9th, 9:00AM – 2:00PM Location: 1103 Omar Dr., Crownsville, MD
a. 9:00 – 11:00 Registration/Introductions/Ice Breakers/Skills
b. 11:00 – 12:00 Dinner break/chalk talk/team building (meal provided)
c. 12:00 – 2:00 Skills/Scrimmage
Sunday, June 10th 9:00AM – 2:00PM Location: TBD
d. 9:00 – 11:00 Introductions/Ice Breakers/Skills
e. 11:00 – 12:00 Dinner break/chalk talk/team building (meal provided)
f. 12:00 – 1:00 Skills
g. 12:00 – 2:00 Scrimmage, team TBD
Tuesday, June 12th 6:00pm – 8:00pm Location: 1103 Omar Dr., Crownsville, MD
Thursday June 14th 6:00 – 8:00pm Location: Demarco Park, Aberdeen, MD
• 8:00 Jersey Ceremony (First 15 Selections will be announced)
Note: June 12th and June 14th locations are subject to change pending availability of scrimmages.
Travel Logistics: More to follow on transportation and lodging
– To be included in registration: Picture ID, Health Insurance information (copy of health insurance card), CIPP number, and emergency contact information.
Congratulations to all the players for their hard work this year – you have one last test on Sunday. Kick off is at noon at UMBC’s Walker Field. Walker Field address: 5451 Wilkens Ave, Catonsville, MD 21228.
All players must arrive at 1030 for check in and then warm up.
1. EACH PLAYER MUST HAVE A PHOTO ID WITH THEM ON SUNDAY [no ID = no play]
2. We will submit a player list for the match in advance. They will check IDs against the roster. EACH PLAYER MUST HAVE A PHOTO ID WITH THEM ON SUNDAY. Driver’s license/perm,it, passport, or school ID is sufficient.
2. All players must be in high school or of high school age (15-18). Any high schoolers that are 14 years old must sign an under 15 waiver. Contact Coach Karl for the under 15 waiver.
3. Parents and fans will be on the opposite side of the field from the teams.